Monday, May 18, 2009

Sharavathi or Amaravathi?

My tryst with IIT Madras has come to an end. Four years...I can't believe..It went like a few moments... Doing BTech at IIT Madras, one of the prestigious institutes in the nation was one of my childhood dreams come true. And finally after seeking admission , a buoyant soul flew all the way to Chennai. It was a whole new world out there. I started my stay in Room Number 391, Sharavathi Hostel along with two other room mates in my first year. I never felt homesick then but somewhere deep in my heart, I felt out of place being the only non-gult in a completely gult speaking wing. Months went by and I used to long to be at Amaravathi. And then came the first one month long december break and I was more than happy to be back at Amaravathi.

But back in insti after the sem break, I decided to see things in a new light. I attempted to understand gult and realized how similar all south Indian languages are. And with the language barrier broken and the inhibitions gone, it was a whole new world out there. I shifted to a single room 341 and my close friends joined me to form the Sharav 339-343 wing. Though I was grieved by the 341 Sharav room which is just one fourth the size of my room at Amarav, I slowly found the room cozy and comfortable. Surrounded by close friends, I found my niche there. But years flew past, they went so fast. I am out of my home for past four years. I am back at Amaravathi, but my heart craves for Sharavathi. Though I have cursed these a million times, I now yearn for the hot Chennai sun, the horrible mess food and the monkey menace. I want to take a night walk with my wing mates after dinner to the Gajendra Circle. I miss the countless number of CCD trips that I make a day. I miss the endless "farting" sessions, watching and paining my co-sitcom viewers and the countless night-outs for assignments and exams.

I still find it difficult to realize the fact that I am no longer a part of Sharavathi. That I will be a guest henceforth in my home for four years. I wake up daily at Amaravathi dazed whether this is where I belong to or not!

PS: Amaravathi is the name of my house at Trivandrum.
Drilla, Sirie, Idos and Nitti - I miss you all. Our wing rocked!

4 comments:

  1. hmmm senti post.... thankfully i have one more year at iit... though most of the friends will be gone and this could be a lonely year ahead...
    but shouldn't be contemplating that right now... all the very best to all those passing out... and thank you all who are staying back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey dear, its aparna from strs.i have been to iitm. it is a beautiful place and very "missable". just found that you blog.your language is great, will keep looking. :)

    ReplyDelete